Kakao “uses and provides the user’s personal information based on the user’s consent”.
[Required] Email, password, name (nickname), profile photo, friends, KakaoTalk phone number (only for KakaoTalk users), contacts, service use history, purchase/payment history in the Service
[Optional] Date of birth, gender, shipping address information (recipient's name, shipping address, phone number)
Purpose of Processing
Users' personal information collected by Kakao is only used for purposes needed to provide Kakao services, including member management, service provision and improvement, and new service development.
Whenever personal information is collected, users are notified of the processing of information and users' consent is obtained.
Provision to Third Parties
Personal information may be provided to connect to a third party's service or use affiliated services. Kakao does not provide personal information to a third party without separate consent from the user, unless it is stipulated in laws and regulations. Information that is provided to third parties is only provided after notify users of the information recipient and the purpose of provision, and after obtaining consent from the user.
Entrustment of Processing
If needed for service provision, some personal information processing tasks may be entrusted to an external entity. Kakao manages and supervises whether the entrusted entity complies with laws and regulations on personal information protection by limiting the entrusted entity's processing of personal information to that necessary to execute the entrusted tasks, applying technical and administrative protective measures and restricting re-entrustment.
Rights and Obligations of Information Owners
Kakao guarantees the rights and obligations of the information owner when processing personal information.
Kakao users can view or update their personal information at any time, withdraw consent to the collection, use and provision of personal information, and request to deactivate their account.
Privacy Protection Departments
If you have any inquiries, complaints, advice and other issues related to privacy protection that arise during the use of Kakao services, please contact Kakao's Privacy Protection Officer and/or the responsible department for a review of the issue and a response. Kakao values our users' opinions and strives to create safer Services.
※ Users can click the icons of the labels to find detailed information of each category.
2. Collection of Personal InformationKakao collects the minimum personal information to provide the Services.
The following minimum personal information is collected when a user signs up for the Service or while the user uses the Services, through the home page, individual applications and programs, and etc.
The minimum necessary information for service provisioning is classified as obligatory, and the user's consent is solicited for its acquisition. Furthermore, supplementary data may be collected to provide tailored services. This supplementary data is categorized as optional and requires the user's consent. However, even in cases where consent is withheld for optional data, there shall be no restrictions on utilizing the service.
Email, password, name (nickname), profile picture, list of friends, KakaoTalk phone number (only for KakaoTalk users), contacts, history of service usage, history of purchase/payment in the ServiceOptional
Date of birth, gender, shipping address information (name of recipient, shipping address, phone number)[To sign up a business/organization Kakao Account] Required
Email, password, name of the business/organization, profile picture, friends list, contacts, history of service use, history of purchase/payment in the Service, representative’s verification information (name, date of birth, gender, ID, encrypted connecting information (CI), duplication information (DI), contact information (email address, mobile phone no), citizen/foreigner status), representative’s contact information (email, mobile phone number)[To verify one's identity]
Name, gender, date of birth, mobile phone number, telecommunications service provider, citizen/foreigner, encrypted connecting information (CI), duplication information (DI))[To consent of legal representative]
Information of legal representative(name, gender, date of birth, mobile phone number, telecommunications service provider, citizen/foreigner, encrypted connecting information (CI), duplication information (DI))[To use paid-services]
Payment via credit card: (part of) credit card number, name of credit card company, etc.
Payment via mobile phone number: mobile phone number, approval number, etc.
Payment via account transfer: account holder's name, account number, name of bank, etc.
Payment via voucher: number of voucher, ID of the relevant website
Bank, account number, account holder's name, email[To issue cash receipt]
Mobile phone number, card number for cash receipt[To process a customer inquiry]
Additional information may be required when processing an inquiry or consultation through Customer Service.See personal information items to be additionally collected for customer service The utilization of demographic characteristics, user interests, preferences, and inclinations to estimate tailored content recommendations and advertising; See Additional personal information collected in the Service The method to collect personal information is as follows.
In case of collecting personal information, Kakao informs the fact to a user in advance and asks for his/her consent. Personal information is collected via the following methods:
- The user agrees to the collection of personal information and enters relevant information when signing up for a service or while the user uses the Services
- Personal information is provided through affiliated services or groups.
- Personal information is provided via the home page, email, fax, phone, etc. during customer service calls.
- The user participates in online and/or offline events.
Device information (OS, screen size, device ID, type of mobile phone, model name of device), IP address, cookies, date of visit, improper usage record and service usage record may be automatically created and collected while the user uses the PC web or mobile web & apps.Kakao receives the following personal information from the third parties, based upon partnership agreements or affiliation with other services. See the details of personal information items provided by the third parties
When a user signs up for a Kakao Account, Kakao collects the minimum amount of personal information needed for him/her to use the service. Kakao may collect additional information upon the user's consent to allow the user to access specialized services.
(Resident Registration No.)
Kakao may collect a user's Resident Registration Number, which is a unique identifiable information in accordance with the law, when a user requests a receipt for donation while using the Kakao Donation Service.
The device information, IP address, cookies, date and time of visit, bad usage records, service usage records, etc. may be generated and collected automatically during service use.
3. Use of Personal InformationPersonal information is used to manage membership, to provide and improve Services and to develop new service.
- Member identification, confirmation of the user’s will to sign up, user and age verification
- Confirmation of consent of a legal representative in case of collecting personal information of children under 14 years of age, verification of identity of the legal representative thereafter
- Message transmission between friends, friend registration and suggestion
- Notification of activities to friends, user search & sign-up
- resolve inquiries or complaints, and deliver notices
- Send contents, etc. to the users of paid services, or shipping / payment
- Prevention and sanction of any act that interrupts normal service operation of the service
- The utilization of demographic characteristics, user interests, preferences, and inclinations to estimate tailored content recommendations and advertising;
- Voice-command processing and voice-recognition enhancing
- The establishment of a service environment conducive to new service creation, functional enhancements, personalized service provision, and privacy safeguarding;
- Statistics pertaining to service usage records, frequency of access, and service utilization
The personal information may be used or provided to a third party, without consent from the user and in accordance with related laws, to the extent that the information is collected and used for reasons related to the purpose of collection. At this time, collective consideration is made to whether the additional use and collection of personal information is related to the original purpose of collection, the circumstances of the collection or processing practices can lead to expectations of further use or provision of personal information, the collection and use unjustifiably impeded on the user's interests, and/or whether measures where taken to secure security, such as pseudonymization or encryption.
Kakao can pseudonymize the collected personal information in order to secure anonymity of the individual. This pseudonymized information can then be used for statistics, scientific research and public records. Pseudonymized information is saved and managed separately from the additional information, and necessary technical and operational measures are applied so that the information owner cannot be identified.
Personal information items collected based on a user's agreement are processed for purposes required to provide Kakao Services including membership management.
Processed items and their purposes are disclosed
Personal information may be used or provided additionally within the scope reasonably related to the original purpose of collection, based on the consideration of the relevancy to the original purpose, the circumstances of collection and processing practices.
After pseudonymizing the collected personal information to make it impossible to identify a particular individual, Kakao may process the information for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific research purposes or statistical purposes.
4. Provision of Personal InformationKakao does not provide personal information to any third party without your consent or unless demanded by applicable laws.
Kakao does not provide personal information to any third party without your consent or unless demanded by applicable laws. However, Kakao provides personal information to third parties within the scope necessary, only upon user’s prior consent, if a user uses Services such as a Kakao Account login service or an affiliated service.
Personal information may also be provided overseas, upon the user’s prior consent, in order to use an overseas service. Separate consent is also acquired by notifying users of the overseas entity and country the user’s personal information will be transferred to.
Kakao can provide necessary organizations with personal information without consent from the information owner in the event of a disaster, communicable disease, incidents or accidents that can lead to death or physical endangerment, and/or emergency situations that can lead to immediate financial loss.The following affairs are entrusted to provide the Services.
If needed for service provision, some personal information processing tasks may be entrusted to an external entity. Kakao manages and supervises whether the entrusted entity complies with laws and regulations on personal information protection by limiting the entrusted entity's processing of personal information to that necessary to execute the entrusted tasks, applying technical and administrative protective measures and restricting re-entrustment.Entrusted Parties for Personal Information Handling
Kakao only provides personal information to a third party when a user directly consents to the provision of personal information in order to use the services of an outside partner.
Kakao entrusts part of its work necessary to provide services to outside companies. In case of entrustment, Kakao carries out management and supervision on a regular basis to ensure that the companies comply with applicable laws related to personal information protection.
The personal information of users may be transferred overseas when a user consents to the provision of personal information in order to use the services of an overseas partner. In addition, the processing of specific personal information is entrusted to an overseas partner to send text messages to foreign countries, and for other purposes.
5. Destruction of Personal InformationThe user's personal information is to be destroyed immediately once the purpose of the collection and use of personal information is fulfilled. The procedure and method of destruction is as follows:
The method of destroying personal information that has to be destroyed because the purpose of collecting or using personal information has been achieved, or because the user has unsubscribed from the service, will be determined depending on the format of the personal information. Personal information stored in electronic file formats is to be deleted using technical means which make the information unrecoverable. Personal information printed on paper records, printed matters and documents is to be destroyed through shredding or incineration.
Any information that is destroyed after being stored for a certain period under the internal policies is as follows:
- The following information is destroyed after being kept for the maximum one (1) year from the date of user’s withdrawal from the Service.
- Kakao Account and email address to which a withdrawal notification is sent to correspond to CS inquires and to transmit announcements shall be encrypted and stored.
- Improper usage records
- Reports and records of rights infringement reports and sanctions will be retained for a period of five (5) years from the date of report receipt and subsequently discarded.
- KakaoTogether: The following information is destroyed after being kept for three (3) years from the end date of project fundraising.(If the project is not selected, it will be destroyed after being kept for 90 days from the date of result announcement.)
- Evidential documents collected while selecting support targets
- Kakao Certificate: Once certificate use is discontinued, certificate use history will be stored and then destroyed ten (10) years after the certificate discontinuance date.
- Name, date of birth, mobile phone number, gender, Encrypted connection information(CI), certificate data
- KakaoTalk: Personal information collected under relaxed user protection measures will be destroyed after one year.
- Encrypted user identification value (CI)
- Credit card receipts: To be retained for one year after the member withdraws from the credit card receipt service before destruction.
- Encrypted user connecting information (CI), credit card receipt item and details.
Moreover, Kakao adheres to operational policies that involve the separate storage or deletion of personal information of users who have not utilized the service for a duration of one (1) year. Separately stored personal information is retained for a period of four (4) years, after which it is promptly disposed of.See the retention of personal information in accordance with applicable laws
Kakao safely destroys personal information which are no longer needed for the specific purpose for which it was collected and used, or when after a user withdraws membership. Collected information will be retained only for the notified retention period before being destroyed, and any information which is required to be retained for a specific period based on applicable laws will be stored separately.
6. Processing personal location informationKakao handles personal information as described below in accordance with the Act on the Protection and Use of Location Information. Under Article 4 of the Kakao Location Information Usage Agreement, we may retain personal location information for the purpose of providing the service.
- ① Provide or recommend search results or contents based on location information
- ② Share location, send notification by location/area and provide routes
- ③ Tag contents to categorize location-based contents
- ④ Provide customized ads based on locations
- The personal location information is immediately destroyed once the information has been used in and provided to location based services.
- The personal location information in user-created posting and contents which are in services that store location information is retained as long as the posting and/or content remains in the service.
- If needed, personal location information may be retain for a minimum amount of time to provide location-based services.
Once the information has been collected and used for its desired purpose, or the user has unsubscribed from the service, the personal location information is safely deleted so that it cannot be restored or reconstructed.
However, information is stored if laws and regulations prescribes justifiable reasons to store such information.
In accordance with the Act on the Protection and Use of Location Information, evidence that confirms the use and provision of user's personal information shall be stored in location information system for six (6) months.
Kakao does not provide a user's personal location information to a third party without the user's prior consent. If the information is provided to a third party, the user is notified in advance of the information recipient, and the purpose of providing the information, and may consent to the provision of such information.
If personal location information is provided to a third party upon the user's consent, the recipient of the information, as well as the date and purpose of providing the information must be immediately notified to the user every time the information is provided.
Pursuant to Article 26, Paragraph 1 of the Location Information Act, when a legal guardian gives consent for the use or provision of personal location information for the protection of the life or physical well-being of a child under the age of 8, a person under guardianship, or a user categorized as a person with disabilities under the Disability Welfare Act, such consent is considered to be provided by the individual concerned.
Guardians intending to exercise the aforementioned right must furnish the Company with written proof of guardianship and a signed consent document. In such cases, the guardian assumes all rights of the user as prescribed in the Location Information Usage Agreement.
For more comprehensive details pertaining to the handling of personal location information, kindly consult the Kakao Location Information Usage Agreement.
Personal location information may be collected for Kakao's location-based services. Kakao acquires users' agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Location-Based Services before collecting personal location information, and destroys the without delay as soon as the purpose of collecting and using them is achieved.
7. Rights of Users & Legal Representatives and Exercising Those RightsUsers may possess the following rights regarding the handling of their personal information:
- The right to request access to personal information;
- The right to request rectification of personal information;
- The right to request suspension of personal information processing;
- The right to request deletion of personal information and to withdraw consent or terminate membership
Users can directly exercise their rights such as the viewing (inquiry) of personal information at any time through the following functions within the service, or make a request through the Customer Service (Contact Us).
- View (inquire) and edit Kakao Account information;
- Manage services related to Kakao Account; or
- Check the status of the collection and use of personal information and provision thereof to third parties related to the use or Kakao services.
When Kakao receives a user's request regarding the above matters, Kakao will take necessary measures without delay. If a user requests for the revision of incorrect personal information, such information shall not be used or provided until the revision is completed.When processing the personal information of a child under 14, obtaining consent from his/her legal guardian is mandatory. The legal guardian holds the authority to access, modify, delete, suspend processing, and withdraw consent on behalf of the child.
To secure the legal guardian's consent, minimal information, such as the legal guardian's name and contact details, might be solicited from the child.
- Verifying the legal guardian's identity via their mobile phone authentication
- Providing a written consent form to the legal guardian for endorsement and submission
- Furthermore, equivalent means to those mentioned above might be employed to communicate the specifics of the consent to the legal guardian and ascertain their intention to provide consent.
Kakao users may at any time exercise the rights to request for access and correction of their personal information, and request the withdrawal of their agreement to personal information processing.
For children under the age of 14, a legal representative may exercise the rights to request for access, correction, deletion and suspension of processing of the child's personal information.
In addition, Kakao also provides a page containing information on the user’s right protection in accordance with the Privacy Guidelines for Online Customized Ads.See introduction/rejection of customized ads
Kakao provides personalized ads based on behavioral data based on a user's interests in order to reduce the exposure of ads unwanted by the user and to provide useful ads.
8. Matters Concerning Automatic Personal Information Collection Device (InstallationㆍOperation and Refusal)Cookies can be used to provide the web-based services.
Cookies are used to support a faster and more convenient use of websites and to provide customized services.What is a Cookie?
A cookie is a small piece of text file usually set by the web server, sent from a website and stored in a User's computer hard disk while the user is browsing that website.Purpose of use
The user has the option to install cookies. They can go to the top of the web browser, click "Settings > Privacy and security > Cookies and other site data" and decide whether to block or allow cookies. when a user rejects the storage of a cookie, then the user may have some difficulties in using a service.
9. Actions Taken to Protect Personal InformationKakao works hard to protect our users' precious personal information.
- Users' personal information is encrypted.
Users' personal information is transmitted through encrypted communication channels, and important information, including passwords, are encrypted when stored.
- Personal information is protected from hacking attempts and computer viruses.
Systems are installed in areas restricted from external factors to prevent users' personal information from being leaked or damaged by hacking or computer viruses. A 24-hour monitoring system has been installed to detect and block any hacking attempts, and vaccine programs are being used to protect the system from the latest malware and viruses. Kakao is also continuously researching new security and anti-hacking technologies and applying the new technologies to our services.
- Personal information is handled by minimum personnel. Risk of personal information breach is minimized by assigning only a necessary handful of people to handle users' personal information.
We limit the number of employees involved in personal information processing to a minimum. Furthermore, we have established systematic criteria for generating and changing passwords for the personal information processing system and those for access authorization and have conducted ongoing audits.
- We conduct regular training for personnel responsible for personal information handling, focusing on user privacy protection.
We implement periodic education and campaigns on privacy obligations and security for all personnel engaged in personal information processing.
- Kakao meets national and international certification standards on user information protection activities and systems.
Kakao is verified annually by an independent auditing organization to ensure that we meet national and international certification standards on information protection and privacy management. The result of the audit is applied to any improvements needed.
To ensure the security of a user's personal information, Kakao complies with all legal requirements in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act, and monitors its security measure levels on a regular basis through internal and external verification.
Kakao's privacy and information protection system has been certified by certification authorities.
The following may apply when Kakao provides services to users in EU countries.[Purpose/Basis of Personal Information Processing]
Kakao uses personal information collected from users only for purposes specified in "3. Use of Personal Information", informs users prior to any use thereof and asks for agreement. In addition, Kakao may process personal information in accordance with applicable laws including GDPR in any of the following cases:
- Consent of the data subject
- Sign and fulfil a contract with the data subject
- legal compliance
- When personal information processing is necessary for the material benefit of the data subject
- For the pursuit of legitimate interests of the company (except for cases where the benefits, rights or freedom of the data subject is more important than that of the company.)
In accordance with applicable laws including GDPR, a user may request that his or her personal information be transferred to another manager, and refuse the processing of his or her information. In addition, a user has a right to file a complaint with data privacy protection authorities.
Kakao may also use personal information for marketing purposes such as event promotion or advertisements, for which Kakao obtains a prior agreement. A user may withdraw the agreement at any time if he or she doesn't want it.
A user may inquire the foregoing matters to the Customer Service via document, phone or email. The request will be handled in a proper and timely manner.
When a user requests for the correction of personal information, the concerned information shall not be displayed until such correction is completed.
10. Privacy Protection Officer and Responsible DepartmentKakao has designated the Privacy Protection Officer and a department responsible for responding to user inquiries regarding personal information and resolving related complaints. Privacy Protection Officer and Responsible Department
- Privacy Protection Officer/DPO/Location Information Manager: Yeonjea Kim
- Department: Privacy Protection Part
- Customer Service (Link) : 1577-3754 (Charged)
If you have any inquiries, complaints, or suggestions about personal information protection, please contact us using the information provided. We will promptly review your concerns and provide a response.
Please make inquiries to the following organizations if you need to report or consult in regards to the violation of personal information.
- (Toll free)118
- (Toll free)1301
- (Toll free)182
Users may contact the Privacy Protection Officer and the responsible department (Kakao Privacy Protection Part) for any questions or complaints regarding personal information protection that they experience during service use.
Users who want to report or consult on personal information infringement may contact government organizations for help.
However, in the case of substantial changes to user rights, we will inform you with a minimum of thirty (30) days' notice.
Kakao always entreasures users' information, and continues to exert its utmost efforts for users to use our Service more safely.
- Notification Date: SEP 18, 2023
- Enforcement Date: SEP 25, 2023
Kakao's personal information processing policy may be amended due to the change of laws or services, and in this case, amendments will be notified to users via Service Notices in advance.